Destacame is an alternative credit scoring platform that uses data such as bill payment histories for basic services, to assess individual payment capacity and creditworthiness. Founded in 2014 in Chile, Destacame has pilots with nine financial institutions, has partnered with five utility companies, and has already amassed over 17,000 registered users.
Over the next six months, Destacame will receive $100,000 USD in grant capital and receive the mentoring of its Catalyst Fund sponsor, Accion Venture Lab as part of the first cohort. The company will also work with BFA to identify specific advisory engagements towards strategic milestones and a growth trajectory.
THE Problem and Solution
In Chile, Mexico, and throughout Latin America, many individuals do not have any reported information about their payment behavior and, for those that do, credit scoring is principally negative. Destacame solves this problem by aggregating and analyzing data from multiple existing sources of data, mainly utilities payment transactions, as well as geographic and socioeconomic information. It synthesizes the information and generates a score that an individual can use at their disposal. With users’ consent, Destacame can sell these scores to financial institutions (FI), who are looking for better, faster, and cheaper ways to extend credit and other financial products to the largely credit-invisible population in Latin America.
Destacame aggregates and analyzes data from multiple sources, principally utilities payment transactions, as well as geographic and socioeconomic information. It synthesizes the information and generates a score that an individual can use at their disposal.
Destacame provides insight into 12 months of utilities payment history and basic customer ID verification (name, address, e-mail, phone number). “Credit Bureau of One:” individuals can actively manage their financial footprint and be empowered to take an active role in their credit report. By validating a credit scoring model that incorporates positive payment information, Destacame will help reshape the credit scoring and lending sectors in Latin America.
The Value Proposition
- The first chance for consumers to include positive payment history on their credit reports and actively manage their credit history.
- An opportunity to reach more consumers who have a high Destacame score but have no formal credit history or a negative-only credit history.
- Destacame reduces the cost and time burden of a detailed risk analysis & Know Your Client on a new applicant.
THE LEARNING AGENDA
We see a strong fit with Destacame's service offering and the Catalyst Fund's objective to accelerate early-stage inclusive fintech innovators, and we think Destacame is an excellent launching point for Catalyst Fund's work. We also see a rich learning opportunity with Destacame in:
- 10x Better Value Proposition: Using new digital datasets to develop cheaper financial products in comparison to traditional products, and making these digital financial services more accessible to underbanked populations.
- Limiting Factors: Better understanding the kind of value that increases the ability of a company like Destacame to get traction with traditional banks and utility companies as partners.
- Facility Lessons: Identifying the best approaches that a facility like Catalyst Fund can undertake to support Destacame in achieving its goals and reaching its strategic milestones.
Awards / Recognition
- Destacame was a BBVA Open Talent Latin America 2015 Special Financial Inclusion Award winner.
- The company also won the Chilean Avonni award for innovation and the Digital Bank Latin America competition in November 2015.
- A winner at the Innotribe Startup Challenge for Latin America.